Our 2015/16 manifesto commitment: £500,000 new investment in our parks and green spaces
Cllrs Kevin Peel, Joan Davies & Beth Knowles in Stevenson Square, made greener with money from our cash grant pot
Improving our parks, providing new green space, green cover and green infrastructure and supporting the establishment of new resident-led community groups to champion green issues have been core to all of our work over the last four years.
Cllr Kevin Peel taking Ed Miliband on a green walking tour of the city centre in 2010
Here are just a few of our achievements over the last four years:
- Tens of thousands of pounds of cash grant funding to community greening projects in Castlefield, the Northern Quarter, the Village and Chinatown
- Plantings hundreds of new street trees and securing funding for additional tree planting in the year ahead, including a green walking route linking Piccadilly to Oxford Road
- Support for Friends groups for local parks and support to green space campaign groups, including helping to set up A New Leaf
- Saving the secret garden on the old Granada site as part of any future development plans
- Securing a commitment to new public realm and green space in the development frameworks for the former BBC site and the St John's development on the old Granada sire
- Campaigning for planning applications to include green infrastructure and green space in all new developments.
Cllr Kevin Peel at the launch of a resident-led allotment project in 2011
Over the last year we've been working with council officers to develop proposals for significant investment from the city council's 'Clean City' fund for substantial new investment of £500,000 in green infrastructure, new community greening projects, new mini parklets and improvements to existing parks.
In addition to working with community groups and residents to deliver this new investment, our ongoing priorities are:
- To deliver new tree-lined green walking routes linking Piccadilly to Oxford Road along Whitworth Street and to Victoria through the Northern Quarter
- Establishing active 'Friends of' groups for all our city centre parks and a new friends group for the Rochdale Canal
- Turning the 'Berlin Wall' in Piccadilly Gardens into a living green wall and giving the Gardens a much needed face lift.
Get involved to support us in achieving these goals